Barack Obama has a favorite saying on the campaign trail: “Don’t boo — vote.”
And young protesters, galvanized by police brutality and a rash of political disappointments, seem to be sketching out a present-day response:
Sure, maybe. But first, some well-directed fury.
“I’m tired. I’m literally tired. I’m tired of having to do this,” said Aalayah Eastmond, 19, who survived the 2018 massacre at her high school in Parkland, Fla., became a gun control advocate, saw many of the legislative efforts stall — and is now organizing protests in Washington over police violence against fellow black Americans.
Mrs Eastmond could be forgiven, she suggested, for doubting that the electoral system would meet the moment on its own: “We do our job,” she said, “and then we don’t see the people we vote in doing their job.”
As nationwide demonstrations continue to simmer, interviews with millennial and Generation Z protesters and activists across racial lines reflect a steady suspicion about the value and effectiveness of voting alone. Their disillusionment threatens to perpetuate a consistent generational gap in election turnout, hinting at a key challenge facing Joseph R. Biden Jr. The former vice president, who announced Friday evening that he had earned a majority of delegates in the Democratic primary contest, has struggled to generate youth enthusiasm despite the demographic’s broad disapproval of President Trump.
To some degree, this dynamic has figured in political fights across the decades: Voters are disproportionately old; marchers are disproportionately young. (Even in the 2018 midterms, when youth engagement spiked compared with four years prior, turnout registered at about 36 percent for voting-age citizens under 30 and nearly twice that for those 65 and up, according to Census Bureau data.)
But the frustrations of today’s younger Americans also speak to the particular conditions of the era, with a preferred candidate in the last two Democratic presidential primaries, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, falling short twice and a sense that those in office have done little to stem a flood of crime.
The deaths of black people at the hands of law enforcement.
Therelentless creep of climate change. Recurring economic uncertainty — this time amid a pandemic exacerbated by missteps across the federal government.
Tinubu in attendance at Atiku son’s wedding
Politics they say is not war
The Former Governor of Lagos State and National Leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has caused a media sensation with his appearance at the wedding ceremony of both children of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar of the People’s Democratic Party and Mallam Nuhu Ribadu in Abuja earlier this morning.
Popularly known as “Jagaban Borgu”, he was sighted by BloomshireNG at the ceremony with Chief Bisi Akande as dignitaries took turn to either have a handshake or photograph – he was the cynosure.
According to observers, the former Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu stole the show at the glamorous wedding today especially with his pictures with several other dignitaries at the event being spread across social media.
BloomshireNG reported that the wedding of Mallam Aliyu Turakin Adamawa, the son of the former Vice President Alhaji Atiku Abubakar Waziri Adamawa, who married malama Fatima, the daughter of Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, the former Chairman of EFCC and Asiwaju’s appearance have been one of the most commented subjects on social media.
The roll call of dignitaries include the President of the National Assembly Sen Ahmed Lawan, and the interim Chairman of the APC and the governor of Yobe State Alhaji Mai Mala Buni; the governors of Kebbi, Kaduna, Sokoto, Gombe, Ekiti states, and Deputy Governor of Taraba state.
Other dignitaries who graced the occasion are the Ministers of Defence, Education, FCT, Communications and several Senators, members of the House of Representatives, among other dignitaries.
Story Credit: BloomshireNG
End sars;Vice president Osinbajo commends the effort of IGP in ending sars
Vice president Osinbajo commends the effort of IGP in ending sars
According to channels tv,the vice president Yemi Osinbajo Speaking to State House reporters at his residence in Abuja on Sunday, Professor Osinbajo described the routine attacks on young people as infuriating.
While condemning the actions of some officers he called bad “eggs of the Force”, the Vice President asked the police to stick to their mandates.
He also commended Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) for speaking up against injustices meted out by some security operatives on young Nigerians.
Osinbajo’s remarks come shortly after IGP Adamu warned FSARS and other Tactical Squads of the Force against carrying out stop and search duties, checkpoints, mounting of roadblocks, traffic checks, etc with immediate effect.
According to a statement issued by the Force spokesman, Frank Mba, the police boss warned the Tactical Squads against the invasion of the privacy of citizens particularly.
SEE FULL STATEMENT FROM THE IGP HERE:
The Inspector-General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni has banned the personnel of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) and other Tactical Squads of the Force including the Special Tactical Squad (STS), Intelligence Response Team (IRT), Anti-Cultism Squad and other Tactical Squads operating at the Federal, Zonal and Command levels, from carrying out routine patrols and other conventional low-risk duties – stop and search duties, checkpoints, mounting of roadblocks, traffic checks, etc – with immediate effect. In addition, no personnel of the Force is authorized to embark on patrols or tactical assignments in mufti. They must always appear in their police uniforms or approved tactical gear. The IGP’s directives come against the backdrop of findings by the leadership of the Force that a few personnel of the Tactical Squads hide under this guise to perpetrate all forms of illegality, contrary to the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement establishing the squads.
Specifically, the IGP has warned the Tactical Squads against the invasion of the privacy of citizens particularly through the indiscriminate and unauthorized search of mobile phones, laptops and other smart devices. They are to concentrate and respond only to cases of armed robbery, kidnapping and other violent crimes when the need arises.
The IGP notes that the FSARS and other Police Tactical Squads remain a critical component of the Force in confronting prevailing and emerging violent crimes in the country. He, however, condemns every act of unprofessionalism, abuse of human rights and high-handedness by some personnel of the Squads. He has therefore ordered the X-Squad and the Monitoring Unit to embark on immediate and massive nationwide monitoring of activities of Tactical Squads and other police officers on the road. They are to ensure prompt arrest, investigation and prosecution of all erring police officers who violate these directives and other extant regulations of the Force.
The IGP has equally warned, that henceforth, the Commissioner of Police in charge of FSARS, Commissioners of Police in charge of State Commands and the FCT as well as their supervisory Zonal Assistant Inspectors General of Police, will be held liable for any misconduct within their Area of Responsibility (AOR). He, therefore, charged them to ensure effective supervision and mentoring of the personnel of the Tactical Squads under their jurisdiction.
Meanwhile, two operatives of the FSARS and their civilian accomplice operating in Lagos State, INSPR Sale James, INSPR Monday Uchiola and Okechukwu Ogbonna, have been arrested by the Lagos State Police Command, for acts of professional misconduct including extortion and intimidation of innocent citizens. The operational vehicle of the men has also been impounded and the disciplinary procedure has already commenced against the defaulters.
Kanye West Files New Federal Election Documents For 2020 Presidential Run
Kanye West is in full swing in his 2020 presidential race … he also filed a second collection of papers with the Federal Election Commission on Thursday.
The new filing is called the Statement of Candidacy, which reveals that more than $5,000 has been collected or expended on campaign-related expenditures. This makes him a candidate under the federal campaign rule.
Of note, Kanye describes his party as BDY — The Birthday Party is now abbreviated. He appoints the name of his political team, “Kanye 2020.”
He also lists his residence as Cody, Wyoming, where he and Kim had just bought a massive property.
This is the second — and more important — set of documents that Kanye has filed with the FEC. He filed his first set Wednesday — a Statement of Campaign Organization, stating that the Kanye 2020 Committee will serve as the Main Campaign Committee.
It’s interesting … some media outlets say that Kanye is not running, but we’ve been told otherwise, and the documents point to that. The latest was filed at 12:34 AM ET on Thursday morning.
Kanye also filed legal documents that qualified him to vote in Oklahoma, but missed the deadline on Wednesday in Florida.
As we reported, a market research company conducted a survey showing that Kanye captured 2% of the national vote. He’s not going to win, but he might be a spoiler in a close race. The question — who would help him, and who would hurt him?