Connect with us

NIGERIAN NEWS

Billionaire kidnapper: Evans Is Now Broke And Can’t Pay Legal Fees

Published

on

Billionaire kidnapper: Evans Is Now Broke And Can't Pay Legal Fees

The alleged billionaire kidnapper, Evans has gone broke and cannot pay his legal fees, it has been reported.

Billionaire kidnapper: Evans Is Now Broke And Can't Pay Legal Fees

It has been reported that Justice Hakeem Oshodi of an Ikeja High Court has ordered the Lagos State Office of the Public Defender (OPD) to takeover defence of alleged kidnap kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike aka Evans due to his inability to afford his legal fees.

Daily Post reports that on Friday, Attorney-General, Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), informed the court that his team telephoned the law chambers of Ladi Williams (SAN) and Co., who represented Evans on the last court date.

Onigbanjo disclosed that they were informed that Evans had not “perfected their brief”.

Evans, first arraigned alongside others on August 30, 2017, has changed lawyers more than three times during the course of his trial.

Messers Olukoya Ogungbeje, Noel Brown and Olanrewaju Ajanaku, have represented him.

Justice Oshodi said Evans had developed a habit of engaging the services of lawyers that “disappeared halfway through trial.”

This, he decried, has caused delays in the case.

“There are five other defendants with different counsel, the interest of the first defendant (Evans) is not superior to those of the other defendants”, NAN quoted him as saying.

He stated that the court “will not breach Section 36(6) of the 1999 Constitution by going ahead with today’s business of the court which is the hearing of the no-case submissions”.

Oshodi ordered an OPD counsel physically present, Ms E.E. Okonkwo, to takeover Evans’ defence.

Afterwards, Evans co-defendants, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba, filed no-case submissions.

Read also: WAEC Timetable Is Not Determined By Nigeria – PTF Cordinator, Sani Aliyu

However, the second defendant, Uche Amadi, did not file a no-case submission.

Defence counsels, Roger Adewole, Olanrewaju Ajanaku, M.C Izokwu and Emmanuel Ochai, informed the court that no prima facie (correct until proven otherwise) case had been made against the defendants by Lagos State.

They prayed the court to dismiss the case against the defendants.

In his reaction, the A-G said the defendants were “asking the court to do something that cannot be done. They are asking the court to analyse evidence and go beyond the window that no-case submissions requires.”

He urged the court to show that “there is prima facie evidence. There is before the court, legally admitable prima facie evidence enough for the defendants to enter their defence”.

Justice Oshodi adjourned until August 14 for ruling and possible continuation of trial.

The defendants are standing trial over the alleged kidnap of Donatius Dunu, the Chief Executive Officer of Maydon Pharmaceutical Ltd.

The prosecution said the defendants allegedly kidnapped Dunu along Ilupeju Road, Lagos on February 14, 2017 and collected 223,000 Euros (N100million) as ransom from his family.

But the captive escaped and alerted the police while being held by his abductors who requested additional money even after the initial ransom was paid.

Witnesses including Dunu have testified against Evans and accomplices.

On January 10, 2020, the prosecution closed its case against the defendants.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NIGERIAN NEWS

How I Slept With 10 Men While Being Initiated – 19-Year-Old Girl Who Joined Cult Confesses In Edo

Published

on

How I Slept With 10 Men While Being Initiated - 19-Year-Old Girl Who Joined Cult Confesses In Edo

How I Slept With 10 Men While Being Initiated - 19-Year-Old Girl Who Joined Cult Confesses In Edo

Blessing David, a 19-year-old girl and a cult leader known as the Marine Girls, revealed on Thursday that she had slept with 10 men since she joined the group, The PUNCH notes.

The woman, who was initiated along with other girls, said that sleeping with the men was part of the initiation rites.

She said this at the headquarters of the Edo State Police Command in Benin City, when Police Commissioner Johnson Kokumo paraded 15 armed robbery suspects, six cultists, three kidnappers and four murder suspects.

The cultists paraded were three young girls who were said to be Marine Girls.

Blessing told PUNCH Metro that she had joined the party in 2019.

“Blessing David is my word. Last year, I was accepted into the cult. I slept with 10 people as part of the initiation process, “she said.

Another 16-year-old girl, Ada Emeka, said she was sleeping with 10 men as part of the initiation rites.

The CP said two alleged armed robbers had been killed by command operatives in the early hours of Thursday.

“The eight-man robbery gang operating in the Amagba region of Benin City robbed 13 homes, wounding victims with machetes and other weapons during the operation that began about 12 a.m. on Thursday and lasted until 3 a.m. They were engaged in a gun duel by the police and two of them were killed in the process, “Kokumo said.

One of the victims, who gave his name simply as Eghosa, said that he was sleeping with his wife in the bedroom when he unexpectedly saw torch lights pointed at them.

He said, “The thieves removed the window and used blocks to hit the door protector repeatedly before it gave way. They walked into our house, gathered the money available, wounded my mother and my newborn baby with machetes, and smashed my wife’s iPhone on the wall when it became clear they couldn’t make use of the phone.

“When they left my place, they robbed about 13 other houses until the guards and the police called. Once the police arrived, they began to exchange bullets with the robbers. Two of them were killed and one of them was captured. This one was the one who took the iPhone of my wife.

Continue Reading

NIGERIAN NEWS

Billionaire, Ned Nwoko Reacts After Journalist Accused Him Of Belonging To A Cult Group

Published

on

Billionaire, Ned Nwoko Reacts After Journalist Accused Him Of Belonging To A Cult Group

Billionaire, Ned Nwoko Reacts After Journalist Accused Him Of Belonging To A Cult Group

Billionaire businessman and philanthropist, Prince Ned Nwoko has paid N2billion damages for the defamation of a character claim against journalist and online publisher Azuka Jebose Molokwu.

It comes after the reporter accused the businessman of belonging to a cult group.

This is set out in the notice of summons received from the High Court of Effurun, Delta State on behalf of Nwoko by its lawyer, Ikhide Ehighelua and Co, dated 13 July 2020.

Also joined in the suit No. EHC 99 as the second defendant is Prince Chukwunonso Nwoko, who was listed as employer and supporter of the first defendant, Jebose, a native of Onicha-Ugbo, Aniocha North Local Government Area, Delta State, resident in the United States of America.

According to the suit, both defendants made extremely diffamatory publications in a variety of online blogs and other social media outlets “calculated to the the claimant’s calculation” and to damage the public’s credibility.

This alleged that the malicious publications had proceeded unabated against the complainant, despite the warnings from his lawyers to the defendants.

Nwoko ‘s Counsel also argued that the first defendant had publicly declared on the social media that the notices would not dissuade his defamatory publications, triggering legal action.

The plaintiff also demanded in his favor, before the court, “public apology for publication by the defendants in at least two national daily newspapers circulated in Nigeria and on social media sites,” as well as an order of perpetual injunction prohibiting the defendants from making any more diffamatory publications against him.

Continue Reading

NIGERIAN NEWS

Face Of Ex-DSS Operative Who Impregnated His 16-year-old Daughter In Rivers (Photo)

Published

on

Face Of Ex-DSS Operative Who Impregnated His 16-year-old Daughter In Rivers (Photo)

Face Of Ex-DSS Operative Who Impregnated His 16-year-old Daughter In Rivers (Photo)

The identity of a man who had the carnal knowledge of his underage daughter and impregnated her was exposed.

Former DSS officer Eromosele Mahmud, 47, confessed to the police after he was arrested in Rivers State for allegedly impregnating his 16-year-old daughter after five years of rape.

The defendant, a single parent and the father of three of them from the Esako West Local Government Area of Edo State, but resident in Port Harcourt, admitted to having been raped since she was 12 years old.

Eromosele, who said that he did not know what forced him into the crime, begged that his daughter’s two-month pregnancy should be nurtured before delivery, adding that he had not subscribed to abortion.

He admitted that his daughter had come to enjoy the incestuous affair, and even forced herself on him.

He said, “This is a war I’ve been trying to fight over the years, and it seems to be a lot bigger than me. I do not withhold any evidence or reality as far as this case is concerned. When this is the only way my daughter will be released if I go to jail, then it’s a positive thing. My joy is that even now, when I talk to you, I am relieved.

“I don’t rape her regularly; it happens once or twice in a year; she used to be very cooperative, even when I don’t want it, she tries to force herself on me.”
On her part, the victim said each time she protested against her father’s act, he would maltreat her and stop paying her school fees and also punish her.
She stated, “It was my father who impregnated me; he started having sex with me when I was 12-year-old till now.
“The first time he came and lay with me on the bed, when I tried to scream, he told me to shut up that my mates were doing the same thing and anytime I refused to allow him, he would not buy anything for me and he would refuse to pay my school fees.”
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Nnamdi Omoni, said the suspect would be charged once investigation was concluded.

Continue Reading

Trending