Former Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho dealt setback after Bayern Munich decision
coutinho is currently on loan at the German giants from Barcelona and is being linked with a move away from Spain this summer
Bayern Munich chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has confirmed that his side will not be opting to activate their 120million euro option to buy Philippe Coutinho this summer.
The news is likely to come as a huge boost for a host of Premier League clubs, who are believed to be interested in securing his services in the upcoming transfer window, but one of them isn’t Liverpool, the ECHO understands.
Coutinho is currently on loan at the German giants from Barcelona but is likely to leave the La Liga side after falling down the pecking order since his arrival from Liverpool in January 2018.
The former Reds star has featured in 22 of the 26 league games Bayern have played this season, but is set to depart once his current loan agreement expires at the end of the season.
“The option expired and we haven’t activated it,” Rummenigge told Der Spiegel magazine on Friday. “Now we’re going to draw up squad planning internally (for next season) and we’ll see if he still has a role to play with us or not.”
Sides in the Premier League were handed a boost in their pursuit of Coutinho when his agent confirmed he “would love a return to the Premier League” one day last month.
Philippe Coutinho setback
“The Premier League is something that the Brazilian has always enjoyed playing in, and loved playing in, and would probably love to come back and play in,” he told Sky Sports News.
Unexpected events could offer Loris Karius chance at Liverpool redemption this summer
Everton transfer plans face major changes as Blues look for workaround to big money deals.